Park Guell with dramatic sky in Barcelona


Hi everyone,

After lots of stress and difficulties I got my visa for Spain and I will be attending in The Developing Teacher with Spanish course in Barcelona. As you can guess, of course I’m so happy for this, but now I have another problem and you may also guess what it is, right now my biggest problem is accommodation. My landlady who was waiting for me to arrive in September, and since I couldn’t make it for September, has rented her house to someone else. Now I have to find a new place to stay and my course starts on October 2nd, so I should find one before that and I was planing to book my flight for 28th September.

The prices are high and I’m no familiar with the process of renting a house in Spain. As I was searching for hostels and apartments in Barcelona, I recognized that there is some other additional fees for apartments which is known as ITP (Impuesto de Transmisiones Patrimoniales / Property Transfer Tax) and Since January 1st, 2015, in Catalonia, the tax amounts is 0.5% of the rent. This percentage applies to the total amount of rent payable for
the duration of the contract and in the case of contract renewal, it will be necessary to pay the proportional difference. Additional to this fee there is something else which is called Agency Fees and varies by the duration of your lease contract and the VAT will be added to this fee.

So now you can assume how hard it is for me to figure out all these fees and laws. I hope the Oxford House would find me a place to stay soon, so I will be able to book my flight.


P.S: I’ll be happy to hear your recommendations and experiences.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *